Mekong Institute (MI) is an intergovernmental organization serving the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) countries, namely Cambodia, P.R. China (Yunnan Province and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region), Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam.
MI aims to foster regional cooperation and connectivity by working with local government authorities, development partners, and local organizations to deliver standardized and customized learning programs, workshops, seminars, policy dialogues and consultations as well as research and development projects. MI works across three thematic areas, namely Agricultural Development and Commercialization, Trade and Investment Facilitation, and Innovation and Technological Connectivity.
The RLED-EWEC Project
Since 2013, with support from the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), MI has been implementing the Regional and Local Economic Development on the East West Economic Corridor (RLED-EWEC) project in Lao PDR, Myanmar, and Vietnam. The RLED-EWEC Project is geared at delivering programs to improve the livelihood of smallholder farmers and the economic status of SMEs in the six twin provinces along the East West Economic Corridor of the GMS. RLED-EWEC project organizes interventions that target local partners, who later become intermediaries, sharing newly-acquired skills on the ground. Through this, the project seeks to enhance dissemination capacity and create a multiplied impact for increased competitiveness of smallholder farmers and SMEs.
The project has two components, including market development of rice, maize, and coffee value chains in project sites of Khammouane in Lao PDR, Kayin in Myanmar, and Quang Tri in Vietnam, respectively, and cross-border trade facilitation of agricultural commodities along the EWEC. In its first phase (2013-2017), the project has made significant achievements in generating higher incomes for farmers and profits for SMEs, increasing jobs and livelihood, and initiating dialogue platforms and mechanisms to facilitate cross-border trade.
The project entered its second phase in August 2017. The current phase is expected to consolidate good practices from the first phase as well as scale-up and ensure project sustainability.
Project Team Leader
MI is seeking a candidate for the post of Project Team Leader for the RLED-EWEC Project. The position is based at the project field office in Khammouane province, Lao PDR.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
· Reporting to RLED-EWEC Project Director
· Managing the project office in Lao PDR
· Designing project interventions, work-plan and budgeting
· Managing project implementation
· Ensuring effective monitoring and evaluation activities in accordance to the project’s M&E system
· Reporting project implementation and management to the Project Director and local partners/ authorities
· Developing and maintaining local partnerships (both public and private sectors)
· Managing and supervising project staff in the field office
· Ensuring good quality of project documentation and knowledge management
· Providing support in resource mobilization to Project Director and MI
· Representing MI and ensuring sound relations between MI and local authorities and partners
· Project outcome and output targets are completely achieved according to the project log-frame and work plan
· Project budget is managed in an effective, efficient and transparent manner
· Project M&E system is well-managed and appropriately and regularly updated
· Project documentation is well-developed and circulated ensuring effective knowledge management system
· Project subordinates are fully supervised for effective performance of tasks
· Partnerships with local authorities and stakeholders are maintained and flourished
· Field office operations and activity implementation are well-managed with respect to relevant laws of the country
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
· Lao national
· At least a master’s degree in economics, development economics, agricultural economics or rural development
· Proven experience in project implementation and project management
· Proven work experience in value chain development, market development in agriculture
· Proven work experience in trade, trade facilitation
· Good knowledge of project monitoring and evaluation
· Proven experience in working with and through both public and private partners
· Experience in working on cross-border trade facilitation and/or with minority groups in Khammouane province is an advantage
· Good leadership, supervision, and teamwork skills
· Strong speaking and writing skills in Lao and English
If you have the skills and experience to excel in this position, and are passionate about equitable and inclusive economic growth in the GMS, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc to email@example.com with subject ‘EWEC Team Leader, Lao PDR’.
Deadline of application is April 16, 2018, no later than 17:00 (Thailand time)
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.