On February 15, 2023, the Center for International Knowledge and Development (CIKD) launched its flagship report on China-ASEAN Economic, Financial, and Development Cooperation marking the 25th anniversary of the ASEAN Financial Crisis.
Mekong Institute (MI)'s Executive Director, Mr. Suriyan Vichitlekarn, delivered a presentation at the second session of the conference titled "Approaches to deepening China-ASEAN development cooperation." His speech, titled "Reinforcing ASEAN-China Cooperation through the Global Development Initiative (GDI) and Lancang-Mekong Cooperation (LMC)", discussed approaches to strengthen China-ASEAN cooperation.
This was the key message conveyed in his speech: “The LMC was a useful complement to China-ASEAN cooperation, which helps promote the economic and social development of its members, narrow development gaps, and upgrade overall cooperation between China and ASEAN.”
He went on to suggest ways to make cooperation more effective for post-pandemic recovery. These include focusing on demand-driven projects that align with the ASEAN Comprehensive Recovery Framework (ACRF) broad strategies and programs, data-driven project intervention with a good M&E system, and conducting a project and stakeholder mapping to oversee and synchronize projects from different regional cooperation frameworks.
Mr. Suriyan's insightful and informative presentation provided valuable insights into strengthening ASEAN-China cooperation through the GDI and LMC initiatives. The MI continues to play a crucial role in promoting regional cooperation and sustainable development.
Distinguished speakers included:
· Suriyan Vichitlekarn, Executive Director, Mekong Institute
· WU Zhong, Director-General, Finance Center for South-South Cooperation
· Chirachai Punkrasin, Executive Director, ASEAN Centre for Sustainable Development Studies and Dialogue
· Kuik Cheng-Chwee, Head of Centre for Asian Studies, National University of Malaysia
· Guo Yanjun, Director, Institute of Asian Studies, China Foreign Affairs University
· Palikone Thalongsengchanh, Senior Researcher, National Institute for Economic Research of Laos
· SIM Sokcheng, Director, Center for Policy Research in Agriculture and Rural Development, Cambodia Development Resource Institute
· VU Minh Khuong, Associate Professor at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
· Austin Ong, Programs Director, Integrated Development Studies Institute