In the Mekong-Lancang region, a number of sub-regional cooperation frameworks and mechanisms have been established. As the region moves toward further development of soft infrastructure, there is a need to enhance coordination and identify an agency that will liaise with diverse national agencies, negotiate regional agreements and harmonize the various Mekong regional cooperation frameworks.
On March 18, 2019, Mekong Institute and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand signed a Memorandum of Understanding formalizing their cooperation for the Project that seeks to strengthen the coordination mechanism among nodal and related agencies in the region to ensure that the six Mekong-Lancang countries fulfill the strategies of the Mekong-Lancang Cooperation (MLC).
- Increase awareness and knowledge of key ministries on issues concerning the five cooperation areas of the MLC (connectivity, production capacity, cross-border economic cooperation, water resources, and agriculture and poverty reduction)
- Enhance capacities of national agencies for the effective coordination of regional cooperation mechanisms
- Build a common platform of information among development partners and Mekong-Lancang countries
- Prioritize policy, regulatory, institutional and legal issues and mechanisms for harmonization
- Enhance public and private sector cooperation to meet the objectives in the areas of production capacity, economy and trade
- Update progress and document best practices to enhance the public’s awareness on the MLC.
To achieve these objectives, the project delivers a range of capacity development activities including trainings, forum and structured learning visits for national coordinating units of the ML countries, as well as research on crucial coordination issues on the MLC’s five priority areas.
Year 1 activities will focus on the following:
- Scoping study on the five priority areas of the MLC
- Study on capacity building needs of key ministries and MLC national coordination units on connectivity issues
- Dissemination workshops
- Modular training on project management
- Training on enhancing negotiation skills of the MLC Coordinating agencies
- Formation of Project Steering Committee