The development of special economic zones (SEZs) offers immense potentials in the Lancang-Mekong countries of Cambodia, P.R. China, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam. By allowing the free flow of raw materials, goods, services and investment, SEZs can unleash the potential of ASEAN's single market and production base, boosting the supply and value chain of the Mekong sub-region and making it more competitive and attractive to foreign investors.
The Project seeks to:
- Promote SEZs in the Lancang-Mekong countries and foster increased coordination among them; and
- Boost trade and investment both from within and outside the sub-region, thereby improving the supply chain, upgrading the production base, enhancing trade and providing better livelihood to the people.
This three-year initiative focuses on:
- Joint study and survey of SEZs within Lancang-Mekong region to match complementary SEZs and identify prioritized areas
- Capacity building through modular trainings on SEZ management practices and structured learning visits to introduce successful SEZ models
- Setting up of an online system of SEZ to provide information to foreign investors
- Enhancement of business connections and information sharing through one-stop service centers and business centers between SEZs in Lancang-Mekong region
- Establishment of a joint working group and joint strategic plan of action for improved management and promotion of SEZs
- Organization of joint investment promotion activities including briefings and seminars on investment opportunities and joint business matching events
Click on the links below to access reports related to this project.